Aerial view of Iowa Stadium and University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics, the University of Iowa, 1930
Photographer: Frederick W. Kent
Iowa Stadium was completed in 1929 and replaced Iowa Field as the venue for The University of Iowa’s home football games. The first game was played October 5, 1929, a 46-0 victory over Monmouth College. Iowa Stadium was dedicated on October 19, 1929 vs. Illinois, a game that ended in a 7-7. tie.
From 1929-1955 Iowa Stadium’s capacity was 53,000. Between 1956 and 1982 the stadium held 60,160 fans. Between 1983-1989, 67,700; during 1990-1991, 70,220; 1992-2005, 70, 397 and from 2006 to the present, 70,585.
In November 1972, Iowa Stadium was renamed Kinnick Stadium in honor of Iowa’s lone Heisman Trophy winner Nile Clarke Kinnick who lost his life in a plane crash during World War II.